I have always been committed to improving our community’s transport and I am proud to provide safer access to our local schools.
I have secured funding in the 2023-24 Budget to deliver important safety improvements around Mitchelton State School and Mitchelton State High School.
Council will look to deliver local traffic improvements at Turnbull Street, Mitchelton to upgrade the road near the schools. This will include consultation to ensure any upgrades meets the schools’ needs. Council’s initial design includes an indented passenger loading facility on the Mitchelton State School side of Turnbull Street. This upgrade will provide a dedicated loading zone to improve safety for pedestrians and motorists, while making it easier for through traffic on Turnbull Street.
This follows significant upgrades delivered last financial year on Lockrose Street at
Glen Retreat Road including:
- Installing new kerb and channel at intersection to reduce crossing distance for pedestrians
- Reconstructing traffic island to improve safety for pedestrians and motorists
- Constructing new footpaths near intersection, including new turf
- Installing new yellow No Stopping lines to improve sight lines and safety for road users
- Installing threshold treatments at intersection to encourage safer driver behaviour; and
- Street lighting upgrades.
Making it easier and safer for our community to access local schools is part of my ongoing commitment to improve our suburbs and make Enoggera Ward an even better place to live.